Upcoming events & classes
View more events here.
- 20-21: (Volunteers-Weekend) FAO: Pumper
- 21-24: CFSI in Washington
- 24: Alabama EMS Challenge (Opelika)
- 29:Closed (Memorial Day)
- 13: Fire Service Briefing
- 19: Closed (Juneteenth)
- 4: Closed (Independence Day)
- 11: Fire Service Briefing
- 18: Personnel Standards & Education Commission Quarterly Work Session
- 19: Personnel Standards & Education Commission Quarterly Meeting
- 21-23: AAVFD Conference (AFC Campus)
- 1: Paradigm/Pipeline/811 Tuscaloosa & Hale Combined Event (AFC Campus)
- 6-9: AAFC Annual Conference (Orange Beach)
- 21-24 Critical Care Academy on AFC Campus
- 28 thru 9/1: Prescribed Burn Class on AFC Campus
Get Alarmed, Alabama! Smoke Alarm Program
423 fire departments are currently participating in the smoke alarm distribution program. To learn more about the program, visit www.alabamafirecollege.org/smokealarms.
2023 weekend classes for volunteer firefighters
Download a flyer. These courses will be held two weekends per month (approximately) and taught by our regular instruction cadre to ensure volunteers receive the same training as others. Students must provide proof of volunteer fire department affiliation. To register, call 1(800)241-2467.
Traffic Incident Management classes
The ALDOT Traffic Incident Management (TIM) Program brings together all agencies involved in clearing an incident from the roadway. TIM is a collaborative and coordinated multi-disciplinary process to detect, respond to, and clear traffic incidents so that traffic flow may be restored as safely and quickly as possible.
- May 25: ALDOT Fayette
- View and register for available courses at www.alabamatim.org.
Curriculum and certification updates
- The IFSAC site visit is June 12-16 at AFC. Reaccreditation for all levels-67 currently, will increase because of the Awareness, Operations, and Technician for 1006.
The NFPA Standards Committees update standards typically every five years to ensure that the most up-to-date information, technology, and industry standards are included in the curriculum that is produced and used in classroom delivery. To maintain accreditation with Pro Board and IFSAC, the AFC has a two-year deadline to update to these new editions. As such, we are updating the following courses to meet the new standards for NFPA 1006 (Standard for Technical Rescue Personnel Professional Qualifications) and NFPA 1033 (Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Investigators.) The books have been finalized and pilot courses are planned for Spring 2023. Technical Review Committees and our Certification, Curriculum, and Training personnel are working diligently to finalize curriculum and testing elements. Learn more.
- 1006 – from Rescue Technician to Technical Rescue Personnel; including new course: Technical Rescue Personnel (TRP): Watercraft Awareness, Operations & Technician (Transition Date to New Books, Curriculum and Standard Edition: January 1, 2024)
- 1033 – Fire Investigator (from Fire Investigator I) (Transition Date to New Books, Curriculum, and Standard Edition: June 1, 2023) and changing Level II to Advanced Fire Investigator (Transition Date: Fall 2023)
- 470 – all Hazardous Material/WMD courses (Transition Date (tentative): January 1, 2024)
- 1225 – (1061) Public Safety Telecommunicator (Transition Date (tentative): January 1, 2024)
Volunteer Rescue Student Tuition Reimbursement Program
Since 2019, there have been 48 students participating in the Volunteer Rescue Student Tuition Reimbursement Program, and the tuition costs reimbursed to those participants totals $94,247. Learn more.